Member Spotlight: Donna M. McDine

12:00 AM Posted by Donna McDine

Winters always seem to be the longest season of the year, especially when an author is eagerly awaiting the release of their book. This is the position I find myself in. The publication of my first book can't come soon enough. Guardian Angel Blog Editor, Sandra Muncaster recently interviewed me about my road to publication and I'm thrilled to share with you today an excerpt of my interview.

CONGRATULATIONS TO: LINDSEY CARMICHAEL FOR WINNING THE RANDOM DRAWING FOR: FIRST CHAPTER CRITIQUE BY INDIE-DEBUT AUTHORS. Kindly please send Donna McDine an email at: dmcdine@optonline.net to set up this fantastic opportunity!

SANDRA MUNCASTER: Tell us a bit about yourself.

DONNA McDINE: I embarked on my writing career with my completion of the Institute of Children’s Literature Writing for Children and Teenagers Magazine Course in 2007. It has been a rollercoaster ride to say the least. Filtered between the many rejection letters I have had success publishing over 25 short stories and articles in both print and online publications. Thank goodness, for without those successes I would have thrown in the towel. I’m also proud to say I have been bestowed the honor of Honorable Mention in the 77th Writer’s Digest Writing Competition and twice in the 78th Writer’s Digest Writing Competition. The first resulting in my award-winning historical fiction manuscript The Golden Pathway, being accepted by Guardian Angel Publishing as a story book.

SM: Tell us about your upcoming book.

DMc: The Golden Pathway is with the illustrator now and I’m keeping my fingers for an early-Summer release. In the meantime, I’d like to share with your readers the synopsis:

Raised in a hostile environment where abuse occurs daily, David attempts to break the mold and befriends the slave, Jenkins, owned by his Pa. Fighting against extraordinary times and beliefs, David leads Jenkins to freedom with no regard for his own safety and possible consequences dealt out by his Pa.

SM: How was the publishing process for you?

DMc: The story of David started out as writing assignment with the Children’s Writers Coaching Club (CWCC) and after several revisions I submitted it to the 77th Writer’s Digest Writing Competition and it placed 12th with over 1,400 entries in the Children/Young Adult category. I’ve been told if you don’t place 1st it doesn’t really count. But I don’t feel that way. To me this accomplishment is a major feather in my cap.

Then after meeting Lynda Burch of Guardian Angel Publishing at the Muse Online Writer’s Conference I took the plunge (so to speak) and submitted my manuscript for consideration. Lynda responded back with suggestions for edits and instead of taking the chance and doing it on my own I hired professional editor, Lea Schizas. Together we went through several revisions and without the constraint of the word count from the contest the manuscript became more dynamic, resulting in an acceptance from Lynda. The book cover is complete with the expert illustration by K.C. Snider and the story illustrations will be completed in the coming months. I can hardly wait!

I'd be delighted for you to read the rest of my interview by Sandra Muncaster at: http://www.guardianangelfamily.blogspot.com/ DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED.

I look forward to chatting with you and thank you in advance for your interest.
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes
blog comments powered by Disqus