Discussion: How Do You Motivate?

1:41 PM Posted by Carla Mooney


Let's face it. The life of a writer can sometimes be very solitary. There's no one looking over your shoulder, asking when your latest project is going to be done. (Unless you're on deadline for a work-for-hire project!) In my opinion, an important quality for writers to have is the ability to self-motivate and get those ideas out of your head and onto paper.

So how do you motivate yourself to write and revise when there is no deadline looming in front of you? Personally, if a project is open ended, I'm more likely to let to flounder, lonely from lack of attention. To combat this, I've found it good to set a series of small writing goals for myself. It might be a write a certain word count or revise a set number of pages each day or week. Other tips I've found that work for me are:

1. Taking an online class - the routine and "deadlines" keep me focused and on track.

2. Aim for submitting to a contest or a submission window. This gives me a date to work towards.
3. Setting my own personal deadline - then working backwards and creating daily/weekly goals to meet that deadline.

What about you? Join the conversation and let us know what tips you have to self-motivate!



  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • MySpace
  • LinkedIn
  • Live
  • Google
  • Reddit
  • Sphinn
  • Propeller
  • Slashdot
  • Netvibes
blog comments powered by Disqus